Thursday, December 24, 2020

the reconnoiter

Between Christmas and New Year's, I plan to walk the first three segments of the east-coast trail.  The weather forecast in the Gangneung area has been fluctuating over the past few days, so out of prudence, I'll have to carry rain gear and rainproofing equipment—mostly in the form of plastic garbage bags and Ziploc bags to protect clothing and tech equipment from both rain and condensation/sweat forming inside my winter coat as I trudge along the big water.

If you've been looking at the walk calendar I've made, then you know I've plotted about two-thirds of the course already.  I don't know whether I'll bother reconnoitering other parts of the path; I think that doing the first three days (down from four) will give me plenty of information.  Besides:  I didn't explore more than the first few segments of the Four Rivers path before I embarked on it in earnest.

I had originally planned to do a four-day walk, but I've changed that to three days because, even at three days, I'll still need at least four calendar days to complete the reconnoiter:  I'll bus out to the east coast on the 26th, stay overnight in Haedanghwa Pension, then start my three-day walk the following day.  So I'll walk on the 27th, the 28th, the 29th, and I'll probably take a bus straight back to Seoul that very day.  There's a chance I might stay overnight and depart for Seoul the morning of the 30th.  We'll see.

I plan to take pictures during this exploratory trek, so stay tuned for that.



No comments: